.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DON'T BE SORRY, JUST BE WALLY.

9.02.2005

BLOODY WELL RIGHT

Ok, I've done the boob post, now it's time to talk about my monthlies.
One thing I can say for sure, mentstruation has helped me to unlock my inner bitchitudiousness..each month I am better at it than the month before. If there were medals given for Synchronized Snatchiness I'd win gold! I could bitch for my country.
This hot flash, crank-a-thon is a recent thing and, as I careen toward forty there's no end in sight. I'm riding a giant maxi pad to OLD.
Reminders of this have come to my attention going through this site www.mum.org .
Go to 'links' at the end of the list and open every thing! Where else can you see the Norwegian Menstruation exhibit ( see a hand made maxi pad! Knitted. Out of yarn. Guess a scarf was too much trouble.) Also, the History of European Underpants is a link not to be missed. If you like that kind of thing. Lots of old, very funny ads for everything a woman needs to protect herself from the tyranny of her own vagina.
MUM actually had a copy of the book my mom gave me, along with a box of pads and a short but fairly informative ( what I remember anyway) talk about my period. The book was in the form of a diary. Much like the heroine in the Judy Blume book, she had just moved and was waiting for her period to get the change of address. All around the edge of the pages were these great illustrations of pink and orange daisies with faces, so very groovy! The daisy with the sad face illustrating moodiness and cramps is my favorite.
I lost track of this book many years ago, but never forgot it.
Upon finding it on MUM I actually cried. Not even from PMS, just blubbering over a very strange sense of nostalgia.
Then I opened the 'art' link to a painting of a woman from the waist down pulling a bloody tampon out of her crotch. And yes, women who painted pictures with their own menstrual blood. Fighting the urge to gouge out my eyes with a spork snapped me right out of my nostalgia.
Are you there god? It's me, Angie. When will I get MY menopause?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home